Friday, May 02, 2008

How Many Times Can I Retire?

I recently decided that 6 months was enough time to be working so I quit my consulting job. It was a day before my birthday and the HR Manager was sorry to see me leave but that was my decision. The job paid real good money but some things like the quality of life are more important than money. I do not know if you even could call it a quality of life issue but rather just to really realize that I have worked long enough and it is now time to let someone else have their time in the barrel.

I guess one more thing that made me decide to quit was the lack of knowledge of the HR staff and of the HR Manager. The staff nor the manager knew nothing about position classification and that made it more difficult to get a quality work product completed. The manager and staff were all very nice folks and it really makes me upset to see the Agency go downhill with such an incompetent staff and that goes for all of the Agency HR offices. The people who knew HR are mainly gone now and there are so few of the really good ones left anymore - like Mary, Jim, John, and a couple others I cannot think of now.

I was telling one of the old co-workers of my decision to quit and he asked me for how long this "retirement" would last. I actually got 2 job offers in the 2 weeks after I quit the consulting job - and turned both of them down. If I do decide to go back, it is good to know my skills are in demand in the Federal community.

In the meantime, I will continue with my mantra of "Retire Now". When you retire, you will be replaced or forgotten within a few weeks. Do not worry about your old job or old Agency or who will do the work now that you are gone. The Federal government work went on before you were hired and it will go on after you leave. Have fun and live life to the fullest - in retirement.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Envoy-ette said...

It's August, and I hope you are out there traveling, living it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Asbestos
Asbestos http://www.blogger.com/app/blog.pyra?blogID=7915469